Without further ado; and because I hope the pictures will say more about how far this project has progressed than I can say in two bagillion words… here are the results of this weekends labours on “Operation massive swanky upholstered headboard”.
For anyone brave enough to try upholstering a headboard themselves, I learnt the following lessons – the hard way! Take heed now and save yourself the bother!
- Before drilling the holes through your MDF board, check your drill bit is slightly wider than your upholstery needle (this will save you having to wriggle and yank it through the hole every. single. time. like I did!)
- Really do make the holes in the foam (which the buttons will ‘sit’ in) big enough to drop the button in; it’ll make pulling the wadding and fabric in to create the ‘tuft’ much easier and you won’t have to pull so hard on the button cord.
- Wear gloves when it comes to pulling the button cord through and holding it tight to staple on the back, I almost ripped my hands to shreds pulling through and holding the cord taught while stapling 32 buttons!
- Don’t be afraid to bling it up! I was worried about using glass buttons instead of spending the extra time to cover upholstery buttons in matching fabric, but I’m glad to have added the bling in the end – it definitely added “swank”!
You might also notice that the bedroom has changed colour, and had coving installed around the ceiling… all part of our massive overhaul from “just a young couple sharing a house” to “grown up married people style” – but that’s for another post when the whole job is complete.